From north to south, enjoy this ride with numerous choices. Heck, a family on vacation or living locally could do one water park a day to fill a workweek easily, and each site brings something so different from all the rest.
North Myrtle Beach
- Shark Wake Park, open 10 a.m. daily at the North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex, at S.C. 90 and Robert Edge Parkway, includes the newly opened “Aqua Park.” This inflatable, floating addition spans an acre – for individuals ages 7 and older, at least 45 inches tall, and good swimmers – with a capacity for 120 people per hour. The $25 rate covers a 45-minute session, and $10 for additional same-day time, if spots are available. Reservations and other park options at 843-399-9253 (WAKE) or sharkwakepark.com/aqua-park.
- Hipster XL inflatable beach slide: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through Sept. 4 in Ocean Park, at First Avenue South and Ocean Boulevard, one block south of Main Street. Should anyone be curious about the dimensions of this contraption, made by FreeStyle Slides Inc. of St. Petersburg. Fla.: The Hipster, which faces northward on the beach, is 40 feet tall, 27 feet wide, and about 175 feet long. A single ride is $3, four single rides $10, daily pass $20, weeklong pass (Sunday through Saturday) $60, and individual and family season passes $65 and $185, respectively. Group rates also are available. 843-280-5570 or parks.nmb.us.
- Myrtle Waves Water Park, with 22 slides, 3000 Mr. Joe White Avenue (formerly 10th Avenue North) Extension in Myrtle Beach, at U.S. 17: 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. daily through Aug. 13 – and until 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Aug. 9 – then 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 14-18, and 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays as of Aug. 19, to close the summer on Sept. 4, Labor Day, a Monday✔. General admission, plus tax: $27.99 ($24.99 advance online) for anyone 4 feet or taller, $21.99 ($18.99 web advance) for individuals shorter than 48 inches – and always free for ages 2 and younger – each with free admission on the next day. Season pass $65.99, plus tax. 843-913-9250 or www.myrtlewaves.com.
Also: Family “Dive-In Movie Nights” roll with wave-pool screenings at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, weather permitting, with “The Jungle Book” on July 19, “The Lego Batman Movie” July 26, “Kung Fu Panda 3” Aug. 2, and “Dolphin Tale 2” Aug. 9 – Special general admission after 4 p.m. Wednesdays is $13.99 plus tax – no next day free with this rate.
- Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park – 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily through Aug. 12, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 13-Sept. 3. $19.95, plus tax, and free for ages 2 and younger. Also: combo pass for wristband for amusement park rides on one day, and one day at water park, for $37.90, plus tax. 843-626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
- Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach – 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily through Aug. 20 (but closed on July 29 for private party) – and open until 9 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 20 – then 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 21-25 and Aug. 28-Sept. 1; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 26-27, and Sept. 2-4. Water park admission, plus tax: $27.98 ($24.98 advance online) for anyone 4 feet or taller, $19.98 ($16.98 web advance) for individuals shorter than 48 inches and anybody 55 and older – and always free for ages 2 and younger. (Rides and miniature golf, for which combination rates are available, are open later in day and usually closing later as well.) Season passes for water park, plus tax: $69.99 for rest of summer, and $49.99 for a week. Also, special admission rates, plus tax, for “Live After 5,” 5-9 p.m. Fridays, $9.95; and “Sunday Fundays” and “Manic Mondays, $17.98 each daily. 843-238-3787 or www.wild-water.com.
Weekends each bring entertainment on the stage overlooking Wild Water’s wave pool. On Friday evenings, Wally B. – in the air chair, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays-Fridays on WSYN-FM “Sunny” 103.1 – spins the tunes, including 1980s favorites, Sunny’s signature format every weekend.